Thursday, November 18, 2010

Spring Semester Courses!


                This morning was tremendously stressful; freshmen course registration opened at 8 am. Because I have a 9 A.M. class, I decided to get up before registration to get breakfast, then register, and go to class. I did my homework for registration and had all of the course codes written down so I could sign up right away. It certainly paid off. I was registered for all of my first choices by 8:01. I kid you not. It took me one minute and then I was registered.  At Clark, registration starts with seniors, followed by juniors, sophomores, and finally freshman. It was a relief that I got into all the courses I wanted.
                Anyway, I’m sure you’re bursting with anticipation of what those classes are. Psychology 101 is a basic introductory lecture – also one of the largest classes offered at Clark. However, it is balanced with a Friday discussion group of thirty students. I am taking this course to see if I want to steer my education in the direction of psychology. I am also taking Economics 010. From what I know about the subject, it doesn’t spark any passions, but maybe the class will surprise me. I’m taking it as a requirement for a possible accelerated master’s degree in business. I’m also taking a philosophy class called personal values. It just sounds like an amazingly cool class. Of course, I don’t know anything for sure, but I read that Professor Donahue is really great. Finally, I am taking managerial communications which is definitely the class I am most excited about. It meets once a week for three hours. There are obviously many pros and cons to that, but I think I will get a lot out of it. Management fascinates me and the class focuses on improving verbal and writing skills as well which I could benefit so much from.
My Beautiful Spring Semester Schedule
                One of the best parts about choosing classes for college is that you can design your schedule however you want. There will be some classes that only have one time slot, but whether you take morning or night classes is in your hands. I really like how my classes are organized this semester except for one. Biology, management, and environmental science all fit nicely together and calculus is several hours after those. It works, but I don’t like having so much of a gap. Speaking of class gaps, somehow I configured my schedule so I will only be taking classes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It’s pretty cool, but I think it will be a test of my time-management skills. It will be so tempting to blow off doing work on Tuesday and Thursday, but the other days are so congested with class time, that it’s really the only way for me to be spending my time.
                Overall, I’m really looking forward to next semester. This semester was definitely too much science for me, so I’ll be really appreciative of my break from that. Although I have not declared a major, I am very curious to learn about psychology and continue my studies in management. The courses I chose for next semester will really help me develop an idea of what I want to pursue in college. What’s even cooler is that there is an add/drop period, so if a class doesn’t work out or there’s an opening in one that looks more interesting, I have the ability to switch. I don’t think it will be necessary, but it’s good to keep my options open. Thanksgiving is in one week… Happy Thanksgiving!! 
I couldn't resist. I love dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment