Friday, February 4, 2011

The Semester has Truly Begun with a New Roommate and Revisiting Past Course Material

                This week’s been going by so fast! Monday was a normal day followed by Tuesday of no classes and Wednesday, due to snow, three of my classes were canceled. Clark University was open, but many professors live too far away to safely commute here. It’s completely understandable and I’ll admit that I am very thankful to have the unexpected break to catch up on work and have more time to be with friends.
                The weather has been absolutely crazy. There’s been a lot of snow and there’s more on the way. Walking to classes yesterday included snow, sleet, and a little hail. I didn’t even know what to do with myself. The paths were ice-free, thankfully, so I was able to go from building to building safely. I’m used to it though, I guess. I’ve lived in Massachusetts all my life, so walking in snow is fine. I just feel bad for my friends who aren’t from around here and are seeing snow for the first time. It must be a strange experience.
                Although walking to classes has been a challenge, the course material is definitely worth going to class. I’m finding that economics is much more interesting than I thought it would be when I initially signed up for the class. We’ve been learning about comparative advantage which is the concept that one producer can create a good or service at a lower opportunity cost than another producer. This is a relative concept because one producer may be more efficient at producing two different products, but the two producers are overall more efficient if they both specialize in the product which they make more efficiently.
                Psychology has been really interesting because we’re discussing concepts which I learned last semester in biology. It’s interesting to see how that information carries over into other contexts. The same thing is happening in managerial communications. I believe I covered Theories X and Y in one of my former blogs. We’re discussing them again and it helps to have the past knowledge I gained from the Art and Science of Management.
                On another note, I have some really awesome news! One of my best friends is now officially my roommate. My roommate from last semester transferred because of finances and because of that, there was a vacancy in my room. No transfer students were assigned to my room, so I was free to invite someone to move in with me.
                That turned out to be a much easier process than we anticipated. We talked to the director of our dorm building and got a paper to fill out as to why my friend wanted a room change and where she wanted to move to. At the bottom of the page, there was space for her signature, my signature, her former roommate’s signature, and the signature of an official at residential life and housing. You may be thinking it was mean for my friend to leave her old roommate, but there are no hard feelings. She actually wanted to have a single instead, so we all win!
                Once the paper work was filled out, the room change was approved and with the help of our friends, my new roommate moved in yesterday. It’ll definitely be a good thing to live with someone again. A lot of people worry what it will be like sharing a room in college when you never have before. I was no exception. Trust me when I say it was worse during the two weeks that I didn’t have a roommate. It’s great to have someone around to live with, work with, and talk with.
                Having a roomie really is a great part of the Clark University experience. Learning how to live with someone else is a big part of growing up because we have to learn how to accept someone of a different background and figure out a way to work together. Having a roommate isn’t for everyone, admittedly, but I think everyone should give it a chance. It’s worth it.

1 comment:

  1. SOME HOW I ENDED HERE N, READING YOUR POST, NICE U SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES! =) THANK YOU!
    GOOD LUCK

    ReplyDelete